Professionally, Steve is the founder and owner of Siegel Associates, Inc., a Newton-based structural engineering firm.
Steve has volunteered as an 8-year board member of Congregation Dorshei Tzedek, as a 31 year fundraising cyclist for the Pan Massachusetts Challenge (PMC) for cancer research, and as a 20 year PMC crew chief volunteer.
Steve works with students as a Newton School Volunteers Elementary School Math Tutor.
During the past four years Steve has served on:
- Newton School Committee member from Ward 5, 2 terms;
- Angier School Building Committee (ASBC) and Angier Working Group, key strategy and oversight groups engaged in project planning, coordination with the Massachusetts School Building Assistance program, neighborhood engagement, and project oversight.
- Zervas School Building Committee and Zervas Working Group, with responsibilities similar to the ASBC. Steve played a critical project support role engaging with nearby residents, the Zervas school community, and the Board of Aldermen during project planning.
- School Committee Negotiations Team, whose efforts have resulted in a new teacher contract that helps us attract and retain excellent educators while staying within real fiscal constraints.
- Student Assignment Working Group, responsible for adjusting district lines to relieve overcrowding at some schools by using growing capacity at other schools that are being expanded.
- Newton Design Review Committee, vetting the large and small details of school building design at Angier, Zervas, and Cabot.
- School Committee Liaison to the Newton Needham Chamber of Commerce.